What To Do If You’re Missing Tax Forms


When it comes to filing taxes, having all the necessary documents and information is crucial. However, sometimes you may find that you are missing a W-2 or Form 1099 or that the information on these forms is incorrect. Here’s what you need to do in these situations:

Contact your employer, payer, or issuing agency

If you haven’t received a W-2 or Form 1099, contact your employer, payer, or issuing agency directly and request a copy of the missing document or a corrected document. You can usually find your employer or payer’s phone number and address with a quick Google search.

File your tax return on time

Even if you are missing documents, you should still file your tax return on time. The deadline for most filers is April 18th this year. If you have your last paystub for the year, you can use the amounts listed on it to fill out this form.

Contact the IRS for help

If you don’t receive the missing or corrected form by the end of February, you can call the IRS at 800-829-1040 for assistance. You’ll need to provide your name, address, phone number, Social Security number, and dates of employment. You’ll also need to provide your employer’s or payer’s name, address, and phone number. The IRS will contact your employer or payer and request the missing form. Again, you can usually find the address and phone number of your employer or payer with a quick Google search.

Estimate income when forms are missing or incorrect

If you still haven’t received the missing form in time to file your income tax return by April 18th, you can complete Form 4852 or Form 1099-R to estimate your wages and earnings. You then attach the relevant form to your tax return when you file. You can also file an extension, but this may cost you in the long run because you still need to pay your taxes on time. It’s better to file an estimated return than to wait until you have all the forms.

File an amended return if necessary

If you receive the missing or corrected form after filing your return and the information differs from your previous estimate, you must file Form 1040-X, Amended U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

Incorrect Form 1099-G for unemployment benefits

If you receive an incorrect Form 1099-G for unemployment benefits you did not receive, contact the issuing state agency to request a revised form. If you are unable to obtain a timely, corrected form from the state, still file an accurate tax return, reporting only the income you received.


In summary, you should take steps to obtain missing or corrected forms and estimate income when necessary to file an accurate tax return on time. If you need further assistance, don’t hesitate to contact the IRS for help.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site is protected by reCaptcha and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.